Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Apples…

041

 

This is an apple from our Honey Crisp Tree. :)

So I tried looking for an apple pie recipe in all of our cook books and some sites online, because I wanted one with a crumb topping. Though all the ones I found had a funny filling or crust. So I made one up using three different recipes. :)

 sarah's pic's 026

The bottom crust was just a regular pie dough recipe.

1 1/4 cup flour

1/3 cup shortening

3 to 4 Tbsp. COLD water

1/2 Tsp. salt

After I mixed the dough I put it in the fridge for about two hours to chill. It made it a LOT easier to roll out without any crumbling. I then put it in a greased pie plate an set aside.

Pre heat your oven to 375deg.

For the filling I thinly cut

4 large Granny Smith apples (about 4 1/2 cups)

Then added and mixed in

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/2 Tsp. cinnamon

1/4 Tsp. nutmeg

I just set that aside while I put together the topping. The topping is made from….

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats

1/4 cup flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 Tsp.

1/4 cup softened butter

I mixed the first four ingredients together then cut in the butter until it was all mixed in, then I had a crumble.

Putting it all together!

I put the apples into my pie crust, then sprinkled the topping evenly over the top. Then took some aluminum foil and covered the crust around the edge of the pie plate. Placed in oven and baked it for 20min. Then I took it out of oven and pulled off foil and placed back in oven for another 25 to 30min.

I took it out and and let cool for an hour. It can then be served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. :) NUMMY!

 

1 comment:

Tasha B. said...

I am a crust AND crumble kind of girl, too!