Saturday, July 9, 2011

Art and a Silly Hen….


sarah's pic's 021


This is a watercolor, acrylic painting of our house that I painted for my mom’s birthday (it was a day late). I started out with watercolors, but the I ran out, so I used my acrylics and made the watery. lol


sarah's pic's 015


This one of the Arabian is one of my new favorites. :)


sarah's pic's 020


I drew my bantam chicken laying on her nest because it has a neat story to go with it. My silly chicken, Nugget, has been laying on this nest for about a month or more and underneath her has been a golf ball. We put it there to encourage her to lay her own eggs, but she didn’t get it and just sat on the ball.


Well a week ago I was talking to a friend and she told me about her ducks and how her and her husband had just got a drake. However they didn’t want their girls to sit on the eggs, because they eat their eggs (the humans). So I asked about getting a few from her for my hen to lay on. My friend liked the idea and brought some over.


Oh my gosh I have never seen this little hen as mad as when I pulled the golf ball out from underneath her! I tried holding her so I could put the eggs on the nest, without loosing my hand haha. Well I got three on the nest then I lost control of the angry, little Nugget. She ran to the nest box, but I still had one more egg. Though I didn’t think it’d fit being as the eggs were about three times the size of a bantam’s egg. I placed the egg in front of her nest to see what she thought about it and to my surprise she rolled it under her and fluffed herself up to cover up all of the four duck eggs!


So now we shall see if my silly hen gets to be a Mom to four ducklings. :)

4 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Sarah~
I hope your little hen stays on the nest long enough to hatch out the ducklings!
I had a friend when I was in high school, who had a banty hen with baby ducks ~ it was the most hilarious thing to see the hen go balistic when the baby ducks when swimming for the first time!! HAHA! Poor mama was racing back and forth on the shore of the pond scolding those silly babies for getting in the water! She even waded in a bit herself to try to get them back!
Your paintings are lovely! I'm sure your mom loved her birthday present! And I really like your Arab painting, also!
Blessings!

nmhenle27 said...

That is wonderful, I can't wait to see what will happen! :)

Sarah said...

Oh, that is soooo funny, :D we just put in a pond too! Yeah I really hope she stays on them :)

Tasha B. said...

That is hilarious. I think two or three of my chicks are accidentally bantams - though the eggs will be smaller, I am secretly excited because I love anything miniature! I must have been so excited at the co-op, I forgot to be careful not to grab my varieties out of the 'bantam' troughs! Also, we just re-homed someone's duck to our pond and he came from a home where he was 'friends' with hens... waiting to see if he ventures up the hill to befriend our ladies.